วันศุกร์ที่ 11 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2556

Addiction


I can’t seem to gather my thoughts. They’re all over the place and I debated on whether or not I should even write this blog. We’ve done and learned so many great things and I have countless amounts of topics to write a blog on, I just can’t seem to do it. I don’t care. About anything really. I’m right back to where I started my journey about six months ago. This can be seen as a sign for a number of things. The two most extremes say that either Wat Tham Krabok really was the place I’ve been searching for or that I’m too unstable to know what’s good for me. Regardless, something that I can’t stop thinking about was a topic that we talked about in class.

We’ve discussed many aspects of addiction and earlier this week we were discussing the neurological side of it. The part that stuck out to me was our discussion on the neurotransmitter dopamine. To my understanding, our brain releases dopamine when we partake in pleasurable activities. The release of this chemical into our brain accounts for a lot of the happiness that comes from pleasurable activities. Our brain sits at a natural level of dopamine and when we partake in a pleasurable action (which releases higher levels of dopamine) our brain wants us to partake in that particular action again so it can experience that higher level of dopamine. This process plays a huge role in drug addiction when the intake of drugs causes tremendous amounts of dopamine release. Since the brain likes lots of dopamine, it’s going to try to get you to partake in that action again. This is one of the core processes that leads to craving.

Back home there were many activities that I would do to give my brain its fix of dopamine. When I came to Thailand I missed some of those activities more than others, but they were all still present in my mind. Upon arriving to Wat Tham Krabok I knew that I would never have to do any of those things again. To my conscious mind my experience had seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, but what was going on in my unconscious mind neurologically? I have to wonder if my experience at Wat Tham Krabok gave my brain a larger spike of dopamine than any of the other activities I was taking part in back home.

Ever since leaving the Wat, all I can think about is going back for an extended period of time and every day gets harder and harder. Is my brain experiencing the first stage of addiction? At this point I don’t really care, I’m just glad that the world seems to view my junkie brain’s drug fix (seeking Buddhist teachings at a temple in Thailand) as constructive versus destructive. 

1 ความคิดเห็น:

  1. Cosette gave me this book to read, and it had possibly the most depressing poem ever:

    Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
    he wrote a poem
    And he called it "Chops"
    because that was the name of his dog
    And that's what it was all about
    And his teacher gave him an A
    and a gold star
    And his mother hung it on the kitchen door
    and read it to his aunts
    That was the year Father Tracy
    took all the kids to the zoo
    And he let them sing on the bus
    And his little sister was born
    with tiny toenails and no hair
    And his mother and father kissed a lot
    And the girl around the corner sent him a
    Valentine signed with a row of X's
    and he had to ask his father what the X's meant
    And his father always tucked him in bed at night
    And was always there to do it

    Once on a piece of white paper with blue lines
    he wrote a poem
    And he called it "Autumn"
    because that was the name of the season
    And that's what it was all about
    And his teacher gave him an A
    and asked him to write more clearly
    And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
    because of its new paint
    And the kids told him
    that Father Tracy smoked cigars
    And left butts on the pews
    And sometimes they would burn holes
    That was the year his sister got glasses
    with thick lenses and black frames
    And the girl around the corner laughed
    when he asked her to go see Santa Claus
    And the kids told him why
    his mother and father kissed a lot
    And his father never tucked him in bed at night
    And his father got mad
    when he cried for him to do it.

    Once on a paper torn from his notebook
    he wrote a poem
    And he called it "Innocence: A Question"
    because that was the question about his girl
    And that's what it was all about
    And his professor gave him an A
    and a strange steady look
    And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
    because he never showed her
    That was the year that Father Tracy died
    And he forgot how the end
    of the Apostle's Creed went
    And he caught his sister
    making out on the back porch
    And his mother and father never kissed
    or even talked
    And the girl around the corner
    wore too much makeup
    That made him cough when he kissed her
    but he kissed her anyway
    because that was the thing to do
    And at three a.m. he tucked himself into bed
    his father snoring soundly

    That's why on the back of a brown paper bag
    he tried another poem
    And he called it "Absolutely Nothing"
    Because that's what it was really all about
    And he gave himself an A
    and a slash on each damned wrist
    And he hung it on the bathroom door
    because this time he didn't think
    he could reach the kitchen.

    ตอบลบ